Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

2 Climate Island

We all know too well. In Singapore, we have but two climates - sunny and rainy.


Yesterday, I rode in the wind and rain. Biked past those passerbys taking shelter, who darted puzzled looks at the lone cyclist, braving the wind, the rain and worse still, the slippery roads on slicks, with brake pads that totally fail when wet on the aluminium rims of the clincher wheels. Why does he do it? Has he gone mad?


Today was none the better. Attempted to predict the weather and went off to swim earlier. But my weather reading skills need to be polished up more. Completed warm up sets and stopped at the end of the 2nd set of 300m before the Rain God got the better of me. Work beckoned and session abandoned.


But Rain God was kinder today. The rain stopped 3 hours later and I was back in the pool trashing through my sets again later in the evening. Did a 100m warm up before continuing where I left off. I have always had the phobia with 50m repeats. It just gets so tiring that the arms, the mind simply shuts down. Negative thoughts set in but I had to nudge them out. Strength of mind? Maybe. Probably more urgency that I do not have that much time left to train. Its do, or die. And I did not have much of a choice.


Coach wanted me to do 15x50m, taking off at every 55s. I did under 52s but I took about 15s breathers at every rep. Heaving and puffing at the touch of the wall. The last rep I clocked in 49s. Strangely, the arms did not feel that fatigued. I hope it is a sign that I am improving.


Last week, I got chided by Coach. I was worried that I would not be ready for IMJ. He reminded me that we as working professionals, schedule our trainings around other commitments and we do what we can to get ready for the races that we sign up for. There is so much we can do.


Yes, after all, I am no professional triathlete. This message is something that I have to keep reminding myself. But being an age grouper does not automatically grant me the excuse of not doing my best. And it is with this mindset that I enter each race to perform at my level best.


Would I give this up for a longer time lazing in bed? Would I trade in this for TV? Nope. Not at this point in my life when I am enjoying what I am doing. Not when I have found new energy to go about my sessions. I have wondered, if this were removed from me, there will be a void that is hard to fill. It is like a second nature to me already.


I can only pray that my physical limitations will not prohibit from taking this sport to my retirement nor through my golden years. Perhaps at age 70, I may be able to win my age group and qualify for Kona. Then again, this might still be wishful thinking.

4 comments:

  1. You can never be ready for a race...

    I believe you are ready based on your training results. You have 1 past experience to build on.

    Every race is different and every course is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt. I hope I am ready too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you'll be the fiesty 70-year-old grandpa I'll read about in the papers as a stellar example of having aged gracefully (:

    Jiayou Mr Teo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Thanks Gwyn. Yes, I would love to be the 70 yo grandpa too!

    ReplyDelete