Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

2 More Weeks of Training...

Been off the blog lately. Had to juggle work and training and keeping up with the family. Am left with 2 more weeks before my 2 weeks laid off by reservist. Darn! Am quite worried that I would lose my fitness from the 2 weeks of inactivity. Anyway...


Thursday had an interrupted swim at the pool. I knew the rain will come in late evening and should have gone out to swim after lunch. But work held me back and its a fact of life. Attempted to swim at about 4ish and managed a 400m warm up, 200m kicks (I shortened it because the weather started to look dreary), 6x50m under 56s and 400m instead of the main set of 1000m. By then, I was hauled up by the lifeguard.


Coach told me to skip Friday's 40km bike and 18km run to do the swim session again. Fortunately, I did not have the weather frowning on me. Completed all the above stipulated sets plus 2 x 200m, 4 x 100m, 4 x 50m. All laps were under 60s with the  last 4 sprints under 52s.


Read in April's issue of Triathlete magazine. Andy Potts, well known for his swimming prowess, that he did as much as 3000m timed sets, in his younger days as a swimmer. It is no wonder he still is one of the better swimmers in the ironman scene. I am planning to engage a swim coach after my Ironman Japan. I want to make sure that I will swim well at Ironman Western Australia in December this year. I have yet to find one though. Will be more conscientious to hunt for one soon.


Saturday's ride was enjoyable. Started at 0530 and ended the ride at about 1140. It was a 150km session. Did a 3 loop at the new rolling terrain I tried on Wednesday, before hitting out to West Coast Highway and the uturn home. I forced myself to gel up throughout the whole session and felt good when I jumped off the bike to hit a 8km run. What was interesting during the 150km ride was this: I found myself slowing down at about 100km, feeling sticky all over the body from the humidity, despite it being a partially cloudy day but humid nonetheless. I decided to use a bottle of water to cool the body down, from head to face to body to arms. Immediately thereafter I felt a renewed sense of energy and second wind came. I hit home in the heart rate that was prescribed by Coach - ironman pace - and did not feel at all tired! And throughout the last 50km, I kept myself refreshed with water that I bought during a refuel pit stop. It was good! Looks like I will have to keep a spare bottle of water instead of sports drink for this purpose from now on.


The run was kept within IM pace. Legs felt strong during the run. Seemed as if I would be able to go on for a while more with even greater pace. It was not that fast a pace? About 6:30/km. And it felt as if I could go on for a good distance if I continue to carb up. But remembered that I would be doing my 6 x 4km sets today. Thus decided not to blow myself up prematurely. Actually on hindsight, if I can maintain the 6:30/km, I should be able to hit about a 4.5hr marathon, which in itself would have been a huge improvement for myself!


Weather seemed sweltering today. Been hiding in aircon room as I rolled on my favourite bottle, trying to get my legs ready, at the same time keep myself cool for the run soon. Hope it will be bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment