Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bike Fit

After the unimaginable training last week, I got my 2 days rest on Monday and Tuesday. Was tasked to do a 95km "recovery" ride.


Legs felt heavy. Not tired at all, but the spinning action was missing. This was the same feeling after Sundown 42km last year. I tried to bike 2 weeks after the run and could only manage 22kph at flat Coastal! I was kicking myself then. Ok, I was not going at 22kph today. But the average speed did drop a lot as compared to prior last week's trainings. The cycling legs were kind of lost despite the 2 completely no action days.


I am looking forward to tomorrow's bike fitting session with ELITE bicycles. Rationale for doing this fit is to get myself as comfortable as possible during the ironman bike leg so that I can be as fresh as possible on the run. Even a conservation of 5% of energy, I think it will still be worth it. Alright, the girls are not that experienced. But if they want to build up their reputation, they will need to get guinea pigs right? I suppose I dont mind being one of their guinea pigs. After all, all these new bike fitters need a chance to give the more experienced blokes a run for their money too right? If we dont give them a chance, how are they going to improve and give all our athletes a proper fit?


I think bike fit will start a whole load of discussions. Who does this and what is best? Every fitter has their own set of beliefs. What works for one may not work for another. That is true. But if I get myself done and it works, it will benefit me in the long run. Even my coach thinks that getting properly fitted to the bike is even more important than the bike itself. I am not a pro and frankly, should I spend this money as a beginning age grouper? If I can keep doing triathlons, without getting myself injured, last longer on the bike, get fresh legs on the run, I think it will be well worth the $500. And that is not including any parts that need to be changed.


With this $500, it is suppose to be 4 hours fitting process. When I bought my Cervelo, I was supposedly fitted by the shop. Guess how long I spent there getting fitted? No more than 30min! We will see what happens tomorrow with ELITE. Wait out.


I agree it doesnt come cheap. Which is why I am hoping with the high costs, there will be some good long lasting returns. Well, cross my fingers...

No comments:

Post a Comment