Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

90PSI... What was I thinking of???

I wanted to try riding with lower tyre pressure, following what my coach does. And I think I got myself into trouble. There is a reason why he is coach and I am not? Spinning to cadence of 105 was no problem. But the moment I hit the hills? There was just so much so much drag! It was suppose to be a century ride but with the tired legs and the rain, I had no choice but to reduce it to a mere 83km.


I have been hitting this same route for the past 9 months. And I have been going up the University slope since I started training this year. The slopes were getting more manageable, but simply not today! And I suspect is because of this 90PSI pressure in my tyres. I use to pump it to 110, which happens to be my race tyre pressure as well and this has served me really well. But the difference of 20PSI seemed to have opened up the gates of hell...


Although I am not sure if it is because of the pressure or the combined fatigue from Sunday's race and last night's intervals, I really hope to attribute it to the pressure. If it were not the case, then the next worry would be the new set up of the bike. By engaging a whole new set of muscles, I am afraid that I do not have the time to retune the muscle groups. I only have 4 weeks of hard training left and it is including this week! That's a mere 1 month to prepare of IM Japan!


I will have to see how the Saturday's ride will go with the original pressure. If I ride like in the past, only then can I settle my heart and mind to the session... Crossing my fingers...


On a separate note. It was wifey's birthday. Did last minute shopping and bought her a gift from Bvlgari. Glad she liked it very much. Phew... So there goes my new bike... Actually, not really. Have decided to forgo a new bike for now and just concentrate on using the Cervelo as long as it can last. Or until I find new money to change the ride. As of now, I will just focus on training myself to ride stronger and run fresh after the bike. The bike technology can only bring me so far, the rest is still dependent on the trainings.


Yes, I think we all know. Training is cheaper as well... And my wife's smile on the face is priceless...

No comments:

Post a Comment