Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bike Fit II

It was unimaginable. I spent 6hours at the bike shop. Survey, body measurements, angle checking, feet pronation angle. I even found out that my hips are lopsided.


Lessons learnt:


1) In the aero position, there is a need for body to depend on skeletal support rather than muscular support. If the elbows are not perpendicular in the aero-position, the body is forcing the muscular system to support the weight. Over the period of 180km, this will result in muscular fatigue and thus affect the run.


2) I should do more bilateral swimming because breathing on the right stroke, being right handed, this has caused my left shoulder to be more developed than the right because there is a need for the left to tense up and counter any potential weight bearing on the right.


3) My hips are lopsided because there is a habit to stand on one side, etc. This actually affects the riding angle of the leg. There have been cases that the rider actually wear off one side of the saddle because there is a very dominant down stroke  pedal while cycling.


4) The handlebar should be lifted higher so that while on the hood, the position will become more comfortable and not in the odd position that will cause muscular fatigue on the back, if the bar is parallel to the ground.


5) The joints should be straight and no kinks as much as possible because any kinks will result in muscle tension, and fatigue, despite the static position.


6) I need to focus on heels flat while on the ride. This will create a natural downward stroke to the front.


7) There is no need for a downstroke and pull action while cycling. The downstroke alone is more powerful than the dual action, the latter actually slows down the power propulsion to the wheels.


8) I will need to develop my glutes muscles in order for me to pedal using the glutes, so that I can save my core muscles strength for the run. The glutes are the biggest muscles and yet the least utilised in most people. If I were able to do this, I think it will change the whole gameplay in my triathlon races.


9) My former bike fitter needs to do his due diligence in ensuring that customers are properly fitted because that was part of the deal in the purchase of the bike.


I am now fitted using the stock bike, to the best possible position. Only time will tell if this is the correct fit. I am sure I will need to go back to fine tune in due time. The ladies were cool headed, clear in their explanations, took their time with the fit, painstakingly measuring all the different measurements. They may not be the most experienced in mechanical terms, but the soft skills knowledge is apparent. The best part? There was no hard sell. It was about how everyone in the family should be involved in the route to ironman preparation because of the large amount of time spent away from family. And this, coming from 2 single ladies.


I think the money was well spent for an education. I do not think any bike seller will be able to go through this process so extensively. The "eye power" and standard bike fit should be a passe in due time with these 2 ladies entering the market that is predominantly male. I would think that they are really giving the guys a run for their money.


Bike fitters, shape up or ship out. Your time is up...

No comments:

Post a Comment