Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

11 years and counting

Tomorrow will be my 11th year of marriage. In a blink of an eye, both of us have turned 37 years old. There were ups and downs during this period, especially so when we just started out in our career and got married 2 years after I started teaching. It was not easy especially for the private sector at that time when the world economy was in shambles. But we have lived it through and here we are, none richer than before, but comfortable enough lifestyle.


What I am proud to say is that all that we have now, are purely built up by ourselves, with no help from both our parents. Of course, it would have been nice to have some financial assistance but we were not born with silver spoons in our mouths. Our parents will lead their retirement lives comfortably, not luxuriously definitely, but sufficiently. They are still in good health, thankfully and hope they will have more good golden years to come. So yes, with God's blessings, here we are, experiencing what many other families will enjoy - with roof over our head and children to enrich our lives. *Although sometimes, they can be such a pain. Ha ha!*


My younger girl went for a dental surgery just yesterday. She had a freak additional tooth embedded in the front of the gum, obstructing the permanent front tooth from growing out at all. I opted for sedation for her during the surgery, rather than general anesthesia (frankly, I have no idea just what is the difference between the two - to me both are still going to sleep?). Wife was more worried than the kid. Of course the kid was afraid of the needle, but that was it. Nothing else seemed to perturbed her too much. So concluded, kids are much stronger than we think they are. She is nicely recuperating at home, and eating well too. Sweet!


After my kid got back home safe and sound, I went on my 20km run, split into 4 sets of 5km, with 500m walk in between each set. Coach gave me free play and I could opt for whatever HR I wanted to be in. I was more worried about the knee than anything else. Good thing was when I started, the knees felt really really good. And I thought to myself, it will be a good run today. True enough, all turned out well till the 19th km, but nothing a stop and stretch could not get rid of. Completed the sets in 6:20/km, 6:10/km, 5:50/km and 5:34/km pace. Later in the evening, I went on the trainer for about 1.5hrs doing sets at specific HRs. Been a long time since I started training on the trainer. Felt good and it was a refreshing change from my normal routine. So the day ended well for me.


Today, I did a 80km run and a 4km ride. Suppose to be an easy day out because the ride was just to ease up the body I think. Nothing strenuous but complacency set in and I went out with only 3 bidens of water without Gatorade and gels (in any case, I am out of gels and my gel delivery got lost by Singpost somehow - has been 3 weeks!). In the end, I had to focus on the pitstop at 60km for my fix of sugars, otherwise, it would have been difficult to get back home. Run was capped at easy run too. Actually, more like I could not go any faster because of the heat as well as the lack of carbs. Still managed a 5:48/km pace but legs lacked the pace and energy.


Good 2 days of training I must say? I have Sentosa swim tomorrow with the tri blokes. That should keep me from being too tired for my anniversary?

No comments:

Post a Comment