Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sore Fingers

To drown my sorrow from the cancellation of IMJ, I decided to dry my trisuit, hang up my bike and throw away my runners. Completely give it all up...

Nah... Dont think so. I am still biking, still running. Just short of my swim. The premature cancellation of IMJ shocked me for 2 days and those were really dark days to overcome. Tuesday was worse than Monday when I first received the email. Thanks to all the tri buddies who gave me words of encouragement, my family who comforted me and a friend who told me that perhaps it is a sign to rest during this school vacation. Matt commented that IMJ was already considered a race done. But to me, it will never be? A race that never started is never considered as completed, no matter how much time and effort I have spent training for. For all I know, I may not be able to complete the race for all the different various reasons why some pros also dont complete the race, be it mechanical failure, improper nutrition, physical limitations, etc. But there will always be next year, or another race.

Monday I did a brick session with 55km bike and a 23.5km run, split into 3 x 7km with 500m walk in between with a final 1.5km walk. Came back with a sore knee. I somehow think that this sore knee is due to tight ITB? Or basically tight, unstretched leg muscles. I have neglected the massage for a week or so and this had been popping up everytime I run.

Tuesday I did speed bike session with the ENRs. Not many people, just 6 of us. It was good fun having to do it again after such a long period of absence.

Tonight, I did a simple 16km run with Colin. Did not do as I planned for my HR because this old friend of mine just started running again after 1 month of laid off - due to LASIK! At the age of 52... Oh well, perhaps a better quality of life. And my knees complained again. The reason why I mentioned stretching was this - after I stretch the ITB, the discomfort went off and I could run almost normally again. I will be back to stretching later.

In any case, why the title of sore fingers? The first time I learnt guitar playing was when I was 17 years old. I played for 4 years and never really got to learn or improve more than knowing the chords and simple strumming and simple plucking. Back then, there was no internet. Any song I liked had to be learnt from my friends who figured the chords out themselves, by ear. I am not quite able to do the same? After a while, I got tired and stopped playing altogether. Because I saw no progress. Not very talented or musically inclined, I must admit.

Today, I jumped at the idea of picking it up all over again. Bought myself a simple Yamaha acoustic guitar with no pick up - figured I am good only for home playing and not for performances, so no point in getting and amp for home use. Believe the model was FG730S that cost me $450. Even bought a capo. Oh, and the case was pretty nice too. Compared to the old guitar I use to have? A black polyester one with only side carrying handle. Now it comes with shoulder sling! Alright, I really am out of touch in this area. Ask me about bikes and their cases. I will be able to name more brands and types of cases...

Spent the whole afternoon pressing on the strings till the fingers felt so raw. From the internet, came loads of chords of all the songs that I can think of. Couple of things I will need to learn, to learn the tabs which I have always wanted to last time, as well as simple lead playing. One thing at a time. I wont turn superstar overnight, but I have some time during this vacation?

After all, I have no race. *Yes, I am still sore and bitter over it. But to a lesser extent?*

Having said that, it doesnt mean I am stopping training. I told coach, the training will resume next week. I have no plans to rest and start the building phase again. I want to maintain what I have done for the last 4 months, and continue to build to become stronger in all the disciplines.

I will be joining the triathletes swim group on Mondays. They do 1 hour of sets training, with pull buoys, flippers and paddles. I hope I can last the hour. And the rest of the days, it will be the same as before. Another swim session, 2 bike sessions, 3-4 runs, with bike-run bricks built in. I have set some very high targets for myself for WA. May be a bit too far, but hell, I lost IMJ and targets are meant to be just that. If I attain it, I earned it; if I dont, I know I have done my best in trying to achieve it. There can be another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment