Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Is it worth the trouble?

The ironman race is about the physical and mental demands. But at the same time, it is also about the different races with different demands and strategies as well as the different types of training preparation.


Western Australia runs a flat course on the bike leg but it boasts of heat as well as string winds. Japan has rolling bike terrain which force me to train differently, but of course in the end, I did not experience that race. St George at Utah was mountainous, very windy and cold throughout the whole race. Lanzarote claims itself to be the hardest M Dot sanctioned triathlon race.


I want to experience other races besides WA and I actually requested for permission to take part in one of the races that will be held during term time. I will have to seek clearance as to how my work can be offset somehow during that period and likely deemed to be a selfish move. Frankly, I understand from that perspective that it can get pretty disruptive and selfish. And probably, I will not be following through the cause, as much as I would want to.


I cant expect others to understand that ironman is now a drug - check out Chrissie Wellington's June post on 220 Triathlon, where she has a column - and it is addictive for me. I love to put myself through the different challenges. It also forces myself to remain positive and motivated in the training regime. It is frustrating to know that there are so many other beautiful and demanding courses out there that I am not able to experience. So, is it worth the trouble with the college? With the people I have to report to and their type of mindset, no. As such, I think I will just let the matter go. It is no point trying to convince them anymore. A leader who dares not, does not. No further elaboration.


So it will be good bye Lanzarote 2011. Maybe next time...


Likely, it will have to be Bergen 2011, Norway, a non M Dot ironman distance triathlon. It is going to be a cold, cold race... Not ideal for Asians I must say. But what other choices do I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment