Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lethargy

This Saturday was my intended inaugural Ironman Japan race. I was suppose to fly off on Thursday. Funny thing was, I did not feel as fit as a fiddle one bit. Last weekend I was still eating up the tarmac and able to push my bike for a 180km. This week, I was barely hanging on to a 100km ride. What is wrong with me? I think the adrenaline to the built up had finally worn off. I can only hope that my mind will still be disciplined and strong enough to last another 5 months of training.


The Sunday that just passed, I did a short 8km run. First lap of 5:56/km, the second at 5:31/km. I think the ride on Saturday with the 2 strong ironman did me in on the run. I started it feeling cold - because I just woke up - and flat. Legs were not moving as fast as I would have liked. It got better after about 3km when the body started to warm up. I just have no idea how Enrico trains at 4:30/km. I have much to catch up. Darn...


Monday I did another 3x4km run. Run splits at 5:40/km, 5:33/km and 5:16/km. Right knee was aching away on the 3rd lap and I could not push for a faster pace. Heart rates were alright for the 1st 2 laps, but the 3rd lap was on the lower range of the planned session. This knee has been quite worrying. I thought it was muscle tightness, but now may be something else? Will see how the week goes with the run and decide whether to rest and lay off running for a week? I hope it will go away soon. Oh! And night, I had a swim with the trifam blokes at Buona Vista. Did training sets for an hour. The speed will be good to spur me to move faster. Otherwise, the mileage is just not enough for an IM training I think.


Tuesday was suppose to ride 120km and a 4km run off the bike. Woke up and it was dreary and cold. Drizzled and got heavier as time passed. Needed to ensure that the kids had their lunch before riding, in the end, started the bike really late after lunch. Did only 100km and missed the run because I had a farewell dinner for a colleague. Ride felt flat. I could not hit the intended HR, not like during the 180km nor the 145km ride. Perhaps it was just fatigue as well? I am not sure. But it sure brings my mood down, knowing that it was an off ride. Double whammy! Double damn!


I am not sure if I should continue to do rolling terrain because I cant seem to maintain my HR on downslopes? But at the same time, I want to train rolling terrain because I want to train more hill climbing? It is such a dilemma. Perhaps Coach will be the better person to consult.

No comments:

Post a Comment