Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Swimming Drills

I had been skeptical about swimming drills. How can they really improve one's swimming?


Today's session with the Monday Swim Squad opened my eyes to the benefits of swimming drills. We did some sets on side flutter kicks, clenched fist front crawl, zipper or my Coach calls it "chicken wing" front crawl, paddle resistance front crawl. The moment I broke free from the drills and started swimming, I seem to find new freedom in the strokes and found myself pulling stronger and seemingly more efficient. Wow! I am beginning to see the benefits from swimming with this group!


Today's main set of 4x250m was not too bad. Should have gone slightly faster. But never mind, I have another 4km to swim tomorrow in the afternoon. I hope the weather will hold up tomorrow evening. Will be interesting if I can hold up under 2min per 100m again tomorrow.


***


Man! I had to change my tyres out today after about 30000km! Cant remember if it was 20000km mileage or 30. If it were 30000km, it would have been a reasonable mileage. There was bad inner wear on the rear set. No point changing only the rear because it will be only another 5000km before I have to change the front again. And I dont believe in compromising the grip of the tyres. Contemplating now whether to fit in rear camber kit to correct the negative camber which obviously is killing the tyres prematurely. The negative camber was made worse from the stock setup with the lowering of the car. Oops...


Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) is no more. The replacement is PS3. Supposedly better than the old model in wet. Was tempted to try out the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric. They were cheaper and made in Germany. PS3 is made in Thailand and more expensive. What the heck?! But decided to forgo it and use the PS3 instead.


Tyres have not run in yet. Still feels very oily on the road. Will probably need 100km to get it to grip properly. Was running down Lornie Road and did not have the confidence to do high speed corners - steering feels very light. There was a Ford Focus seemingly trying to test out my car. If the tyres had been run in, I would have smoked him much earlier round the bends. I was not trying to race him as I was in a hurry to get back home. Anyhow, not a fair game. The Focus in Singapore are after all 1.6litres and I am not a scaredy cat when it comes to car handling. What I did not like was, he put his family - including his young kid - at risk as he tried to out maneuver me.


By the way, the PS2 does not aquaplane over puddles of water - the steering stays much in the same straight line. At least when they were still very new. Recently there has been some sight twitches but not too bad. This is the same reason why I still continue the PS range. Let's see how this set goes. Hope it stays true to previous set's holding qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment