Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

A close shave, yet again..

Woes of training...

Today was a century ride. 10km warm up, 4 sets of 20km and short spins in between. Heading towards West Coast Highway. Yes, the traffic is heavy. Yes, there are loads of huge container trucks. But its the rush hour and it is unavoidable since I can only bike during that period after work.

Anyhow, the private bus nudged its nose out of its exit into the main lane, knowing well that I was already on the way. I was just 10m away! I swerved out to the right to avoid being clipped by his right. The best part was: after he caught up with me, he gestured some funny gesture. I was so pissed that I gave him a piece of my mind - yes, the universal language.

I will have to keep on riding safe. But sometimes, being safe is not within my control. It takes all road users to bear in mind the safety of others. I have become more mindful of cyclists now while driving more than ever, because I am now a cyclist myself. Perhaps, we should put all drivers on the roads on bikes, in order for them to truly appreciate what cyclists face. Perhaps, before drivers can obtain their license, they should cycle for 100hrs on the public roads first... Wishful thinking I suppose. But dont we all learn from experience? Ha ha...

2 comments: