Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cyclists in Singapore

I have wanted to pen this for a while. Now that my buddy, Matt, wrote a tribute to a fellow cyclist who just passed away due to an accident by a drunk driver, I feel compelled to voice my anger at the drivers out there.

This year, ever since I started on my training for ironman Japan, I have spent more hours on the roads per week - minimum of 250km and high of 320km - in Singapore.

I have 3 dependents, including 2 young girls turning 10 and 8 years old. My wife tells me that she worries all the time when I go out to ride. I also presume that she will rather that I leave her to ferry the kids/run the errands and I ride in the daytime on weekends, than risk me riding at night. I always tell her that I have 2 basic principles while I ride on the road:

1) I will never be faster than a vehicle at any traffic junctions and
2) I will remember that I am always on the losing end in an accident.

I ride safe as much as possible. Defensively even. I have been taught to ride outside the double yellow line so that it will force the drivers to give more allowance to us riders. I change my light batteries when they even show faint sign of power drain. I have 2 bright rear lights and 1 front one that blink furiously at night.

And because I spend so much time on the roads, I get to see more callous drivers on the road. Buses that zip pass me within 10 inches of my shoulder, drivers who intentionally come close behind and blasting their horn, cars that turn at the traffic junction with no regard for traffic going straight in the opposite direction, vehicles that exit without looking at oncoming traffic. These were really close shaves and I suppose with my 2 basic principles, they have kept me on the look out for errant drivers who do not regard the safety of other road users, like ourselves. Whether they underestimate the speed that we go, or totally cannot care less attitude, it still boils down to one outcome - destruction of property and worse, life. Life of a son, a father and a spouse.

Frankly, what do I attribute drivers reckless actions to? Is it because they really think their time is worth everything in the world and they deserve the usage of the road because they are in a hurry? Or perhaps, at the back of their heads, any accident with a motorcyclist or cyclist, the onus is on the unfortunate soul out there? After all, they are protected, snugged, in the shell of the vehicle.

I will attribute it to the lack of consideration for others that this selfish behaviour wrecks havoc in the society. Singapore has become an affluent society. So much so that the prosperity has gone too far ahead of social etiquette, for the latter to catch up.

How many times have Singaporeans gone to a developing country and commented that the country is filthy? That their residents spit everywhere? That the toilets are filthy? About the absence of toilet doors? And yet not seen the poor table manners of leaving their scraps of food on the table ("why clean up? we have the cleaners!") with their unreturned crockery? Speeding within the petrol kiosk and glaring at you because he had to slam on his brakes to avoid your car? Using the supermarket trolleys as their own to bring their groceries home and fail to return them - because it is just too far to do the return trip?

The list can go on. And I am pretty sure we all have our fair share of stories.

Singaporeans are use to "fines". And the moment the nanny state does not specify a "fine" for a socially unacceptable behaviour, it becomes a free for all world. There have been very "wise" debates about banning cyclists on the roads, because "we do not pay road tax". That there should be dedicated "cycling" lane. All with the good intention of solving the problem. BUT if all of us take a step back and look at the situation, all these problems can be resolved, IF the attitude of giving way is innate in our minds. There will not be a need for more rules any more. Social responsibility, civic mindedness will be the outcome of selfless mindsets. This will be the key to not just road safety, probably to progress of a more gracious society.

I am not just a cyclist and a triathlete. I am a driver too.

No comments:

Post a Comment