Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tri with a Cause

When I started training for Ironman Western Australia, I wanted to do it with another meaning. Wanted to raise funds for some organisation. But I did not know how. Who do I go to? What am I suppose to do? This will be a new learning curve which I am willing to undertake.

But what held me back was this: if this gets into the ears of my employer, what are they going to think of it? That I am too free and able to train for an Ironman triathlon? That I have so much free time to do it? I did not want to have the tongues wagging and save myself some trouble. So I shelved the idea.

Now that Ironman Japan is looming in a few months time, I thought of how fortunate I am to be able bodied and compete in such a gruelling race, probably one of the toughest endurance races in the world, besides the ultra-ironman, and the deca-ironman, and God knows what else there are out there, I thought of raising funds for the needy students.

I have heard of students in my school, so needy till they had no pocket money for their meals, that they depended on their classmates charitable moments. So needy that at the age of 17 and 18, they had to gain employment as private tutors to primary school students, so that they can help to make ends meet, not just for themselves, but for their homes.

Frankly, I still do not know where to start. I have never done this before. Hopefully I will be able to find the time one of these days to start asking around before my next ironman comes along. Let me return to the society what I have received so far. And perhaps give a chance to the needy to feel love and appreciated by others who are more fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment