Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Speed Bike Session

Needed to work late. So instead of a 60km recovery ride in the evening, decided that I should go ride with the Eastern Night Riders - also known as ENR, a group in Triathlon Family Forum. Usually a 2 loop ride at Changi Coastal, distance of total 30km, fast and furious pace - well, at least to me. To some of them, it is a casual ride.

Last night, only a couple of familiar faces. Couple of them decided to do a run instead. And some still recovering at home. My hamstrings were achy but I suppose I can do some ride and not total rest. After all, my coach always says, spinning on the bike helps with recovery.

There were only 3 of us doing the loop at the start. Aristol, Mervyn and myself. Ok, these blokes are really fast and experienced chaps. I am the baby of the lot. I only joined them in early 2009. Back then, I was really struggling to stay with the pack during the sessions. Of late, I have managed to keep up with them and helped to pull the pack too. So I guess I have improved.

It was quite an adventure. The later pack overtook us because we stopped after a small incident at the end of the 1st loop. We started to give chase and caught up with them at the U turn half way through the 2nd loop. Thereafter we were all on par.

Maximum speed was 44kph and cruising about 37-40kph. On average, base on my speedo, I did 35kph for the full 30km. Well, just a tad slower than my previous ride with them - 36kph. In any case, enjoyed the company. As always it was a talking session while spinning back to the car park. Did not join them for supper because had dinner appointment with Colin, an old buddy I know very well from the Volvo forum.

Well, the hamstrings soreness had subsided by a lot after the 1st lap and today it seemed to be getting better. A few more days and I will be ready for greater intensity training - so said my coach.


No comments:

Post a Comment