Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Why tri? (III)

Flashback 2009...

1 August 2009 I drove my family to Desaru for my 2nd attempt at Half Ironman distance triathlon. This time, nutrition was optimum and I was racing my own race. Sometimes, the greatest competition is yourself and overcoming the mind is the biggest hurdle. Completed it in 6:08, however with some discount in the swim distance but probably made up from the tremendous slopes in the bike leg. This was probably the 1st time I also see my family supporting me on the run leg.

During AVIVA 70.3, my kids disappeared from the finish chute because they got distracted by the beach and the sea. When my wife turned around to look for me, I had already passed by.

It sure was a nice feeling to see my family cheering me on. And yes, with the proper nutrition, I did not look as half dead as AVIVA. In fact, I looked strong and I felt strong. Till the last 5km when my taste buds got the better of me, and I refused to squeeze in any more gels into my gel-laced stomach. I was starting to fade. But I hung on to the remaining energy and forced every ounce of it into the fast drying tank. The weather was blistering and humid. It was a good acclimatisation race for Ironman Western Australia.

16 August 2009. I did my 2nd SAFRA half marathon. Completed in 2:11. Just a tad faster than the previous year. But I remember I did a 140km bike the day before. Poor nutrition hit me again on the returning leg of 10km. Again, I started to fade because I thought my body should be able to tide over the 10km. After all, I have been training. Alas, the body just is not as strong as the mind. Lesson learnt once again.

14 September 2009. TriFactor series Olympic Distance Triathlon. Did it in 2:54. The best part was, I hit a stupid flat at the start of the 2nd loop. Spent 6-7min to change the tube. Cursing and swearing away. Spent 15seconds staring at the flat initially, contemplating if I should even continue with the race. The spirit got the better of myself. I cannot hit and snag and give everything up? I always advise my students never to give up, how can I talk the talk and not walk the walk myself?

And this will be a precious lesson learnt for myself. Somehow, as an educator and not much of an athlete for the most part of my life, I never had to make decisions in this way. Education is a very sheltered industry. Sometimes to the extent that if the educators move out of the industry, I get the feeling that they just may not be able to withstand the jaws of death out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment