Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Nepal December 2007



Went on a trekking journey to Annapurna Base Camp. Spent 2 weeks there. Had an upheaval at home because wife did not sanction the trip. Alright, it will be the last time I was ever going to do it. Although, I would love to try going up Mt Everest Base Camp...

It was an unforgettable experience I must say. The scenery was fantastic. But many times, I was just too tired to be taking them all in at the same time. While ascending to over 4000m, the air got thinner. Breathing was getting short. Steps got shorter and slower. I just cannot imagine if I had to ascend any higher than 4132m. What made matters worse was that I had a cough before the trip and I never recovered. At night, the throat kept me up - as well as my cousin who was my roommate. Poor chap had little rest too.

A scene that will stuck with me for a long time to come? This Nepalese boy lugged a gas tank on his back, probably on his way back home, did not take the beaten tracks, but bashed through the forest, walked the same distance if not more than what we did. He was no more than 15years old I believe. If you have seen them carrying their stuff, you will know that the items are held in a strap that is hinged on their forehead. Apparently, they use the strength of their necks to support the weight. Well, we had porters too - and the gas tank should be in the region of 25kg?


Another time, we were walking up this little hill. At the top of the hill was a home. As we ascend the hill, a group of children were returning home. A girl no older than 10 yrs old, carried a sack of rice - 10kg - up the same slope. We were panting as we moved up? She hardly broke into sweat.

I came back from the trip, having lost 8kg. Body was sagging because of muscle loss. Strangely, it was from then, I decided to stick to a training regime so that I can sustain the weight loss. And history reveals, I have been at it ever since. So I guess the upheaval at home was worth every cent? It lead me to a hyperactive lifestyle that kept me healthy. As my intelligent and sensible wife says, to the other extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment