Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Jelly Fish!

The ride to Sentosa for a swim was pretty uneventful. 30km and 2 loops at Faber. Rode into Sentosa with Aristole. As for the loops, I start at Morse Road - I am chicken, I dare not take the other entrance. Heard it is worse pain. Another time maybe...

Anyway, whole bunch of ironman triathletes, hestitated while we watched Matt took the first plunge. All stood there and smiled gleefully, knowing too well that swim torture was coming up. 2/3s into the warm up lap, I felt stings across my foot. Then came pain under armpits. The next thing I knew, there was pain on the ear lope, small parts of the face and searing pain across forearm near my watch. And I knew this was no sea lice. It was just too big a patch at too many places. I cant imagine if I had not worn a tri suit and just a pair of swimming trunks!

I suspect that it was a school of jellies. So instead of stopping and return to shore, I went on ahead at a faster pace so that I can get out of the area faster. Matt was in pain on shore - the price the leader of the band had to pay. He had streaks across his face, his neck and part of his underarm too. He had headache and had to be sent to hospital. Well, I saw him in the hospital and I think he should be fine?

I continued on my training. It was suppose to be 120km after the swim, as coach had prescribed. Did 4 more times at Faber but the scorching heat at 1pm was unbearable. I was getting hit BIG time. By then, I had already covered 65km. BUT, if I include my morning 30km, that would be 95km! So I did a further 20km so that I can get myself off the sun and called it a day - well, it is quite CLOSE to 120km? I know. I cheated. But the sun took a huge toll on me. There will be plenty of opportunities for more. There will be another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment