Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Why tri? (I)

Start of Tri-Relationship

Flashback 2003 - 2007...

Having not been recalled for reservist for a while, put me high up in the nominal roll during my 1st ICT. My fellow camp mates were 7 years my junior. Imagine this scenario: I was 30 and those blokes were 25-26. I was CAT Y1 and they were CAT Y. What surprised me was I was still able to go through IPPT and pass the stations with minimal training. I was not FIT. More like FAT too.

After the 1st ICT, I figured I should keep myself on par with them, since they were young and had probably a better level of fitness than me. I started with 4km run once a week. Went on to twice a week ONLY after a few years. Never progressed more than that. Everytime I ran, I felt like it was the end of the world.

And frankly, it might just have been the end of me very easily. My family's history has its odds against my longevity. Uncles and cousin passed on in their sleep - heart attack. Almost all the men in my dad's family had hypertension and high cholestrol. Even my dad has it. My brother as well.

It progressed. Well, not really much of a progress? Because the routine became 8km once a week or once in 2 weeks. But stuck at that for a long time to come. Discipline was just not there. Motivation was also not available.

Flashback 2004 - 2008...

In 2004, decided that I should venture into a new sport - Muay Thai, or Thai Kickboxing. Spent 4 years with the club and progressed very well. But my better half told me - do not get into professional fighting or you will be boxed silly and risk becoming a retard. I thought of Mhd Ali, the boxer with Parkinson' Disease. Mike Tyon, oh well, his violent behaviour that brought on his downfall, might as well be attributed to brain damage?

Well, anyway, woman knows what is best for their man. I didn't go beyond the advance stage of Muay Thai - just below the Fighter's level. It was a twist of fate that got me out of it - injury from 2008 Standard Chartered Marathon.

31 May 2008 was my virgin 10km race with Sundown Marathon. Completed in 1:06. Not bad considering that I had never gone beyond 8km then.

8 June 2008, I did my 1st Duathlon with SAAB. The pictures of myself during the race spoke for itself... It was a massive annihilation of my ego.

13 July 2008, I did my 1st Olympic Distance triathlon. Completed in 3hrs 19min. It wasnt that bad a feeling having completed it. However, it did not seem to satisfy my need for more.

24 August 2008, I did my 1st half marathon with SAFRA. Completed in 2hrs 20min.

Yes, I had an event every month. And I was suffering! I was feeling fatigue! I had never been so active after my army days. Yes, I was training. But none of the training was preparing my mind for these events.

On 7 December 2008, I took part in my 1st Standard Chartered Marathon. Completed it in 5hours 10min. Totally destroyed me. In January 2009, I started running and went back to Muay Thai. Had sustained a MCL strain. I could not run beyond 2km and resting for another week to recover from the pain. Time for the doctor for a diagnosis. Rested and recuperated in 2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment