Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Ironman Western Australia 2009


All the training for the past 5 months boiled down to 5th December 2009. This was it. The time has come. The family time sacrifices, the sleep deprivation, the hours in the sun, swimming, biking, running has come to an end this day.

The day started early. 0330 I was up and awake. I slept at 2100 the previous day. My coach had advised me to stay off dinner, just fruits and carb drinks. My family was feasting on BBQ ribs during dinner and I could only look at them (the ribs) in adoration. Why to stay off? The body has been carbed enough the past few days. The idea is to clear the stomach of unwanted materials as much as possible. So that the race weight can be kept optimum and stomach empty to be filled with gels and carb drinks.

0430 I made my way to race site. Checked gear. Pumped up the tyres to the correct pressure. Ran through the transition in my head. Transition 1: Out of swim, out of wetsuit, helmet on, shades on, gloves on, race belt on, bike shoes on and away... Transition 2: Helmet off, gloves off, bike shoes off, fuel belt on, running shoes on...

Coach had always believe that transitions should be kept as short as possible. The pros transit in less than 4 min in total for both T1 and T2. I did it in 10min. Well, I suppose it is considered ok considering that there are some who takes 15min to transit at T2 itself.

Swim went fine. 1hr 21min. I was told there would be fish to see in the water. All I saw was sea grass sashaying in the current. Swimming along the Busselton jetty was great. Sighting was not an issue despite my shortsightedness. Could not find anybody to sit on the legs as I was not in the fast pack nor the slow pack. Getting caught in between was no fun. I was swimming alone with nobody in sight. The uturn at the end of the jetty was rough. The current was stronger and although the water was 20 degrees C, I was feeling warmed up. I started to pick up some speed. Spotted a swimmer and I sat on his legs. And finally, towards the end of the swim, I saw a duck that took a plunge into the water to hunt for its prey. That was about all the wildlife I saw in the water.

The start of the bike leg I was in for a shock. The wind had already started to kick in. Bike route is flat, as flat as flat can be. I hit 30kph initially. At the 30km mark, I hit 25kph. I could not understand. My legs were lactated very early in the leg. This does not usually happen during my trainings and I attributed it to the strong winds. I was passed by ladies of a larger size than myself. I just could not believe it! At 90km, I got off the bike to check on the wheels. Lo and behold! The brakes had shifted and rubbing the wheel rims! I had been riding with resistance for 90km, half the damn distance already! The moment I got on the bike after this, I was zooming away. I was catching up with people from then. However, my legs were already trashed from the brake rub. Throughout the whole returning leg, I was muttering to myself: I had just fried the race.

Again, it was the grit that got the better of me. This second experience was easier to handle, although the consideration was that, this is my A race for the year. And this had happened. My target was below 13 hours for the race. I was about to give in to a 15hour race. In my mind, I kept telling myself, it is fine. I will have to make do with a 15hour race then.

Completed the bike leg in 6hr 47min. Started on the run. I was feeling fine. And I kept up the pace I have been training. I had planned not to walk as well as return while the sun was still shining. I succeeded with the former, but not the latter. I kept jogging through the marathon. I had to pee 5 times in total. I had to do 3 loops in total? By the time I was moving on the 3rd loop, I could hear Mike Riley cheering on the other finishers and I could only look at the finishing chute longingly. A supporter said, looking at my face: Come on, its ok! You are on your final loop! But it was a 14km loop, not a 1.4km one.

The evening went on. It was turning cold. I didnt deposit a special needs bag. I had no extra clothing except for my trisuit that had accompanied me for the past 12hours. During the last 5km of the run, I managed to step up my cadence and ran instead of jog to the end. The cramps came in while I was 500m out from the finishing chute. Had to stop and stretch and force my way through. I had triumphed! And it was not 15hours! I did a 5hr 10min marathon and total time taken was 13hrs 30min. Sun had set, target was 30min off, but HEY! I finished despite the brake rub that killed my legs in the middle of the race!

I saw my family by the side. I believe my face was beeming with joy. Joy that the race is over. AND joy that I have done what many would have deemed as impossible.

And believe me, with this, I have to live with Adidas slogan, that IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment