Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Flexibility

No, I have not gotten myself into Yoga, nor Pilate's, although I know they would do me good to do these stretching exercises to prepare my muscles for the training sessions.

It was flexibility in terms of moving the training sessions around. The rain came in the mid afternoon and lasted till early evening. My coach had wanted me to do a swim and I did not want to do it too late in the evening because I already had my dinner by the time the rain had stopped. Which eventually means that I will not be able to get out of the pool in time for it to be closed for the day.

I wanted to call it a day. Well, it was due to rain right? That was the lazy bit of me speaking but the inner voice reminded me that I could do other routines. Swop with the not so intense sessions and see if the week's sessions will still be alright? Grudgingly I thought through and figured that I could do my Wednesday's run with today's swim. After all, the swim will not be that heavy for Thursday's session.

I recall the many times in the past before I started the training sessions with Craig, how often this had happened, that I would cancel my training sessions and end up with very little miles per week, how much I had suffered during races thereafter.

I have gotten smarter with training and all of it is due to my coach.

Left to do my 4 sets of 4km at 9pm and completed before 11pm.
1st 4km 24:07 5:57min/km
2nd 4km 23:55 5:55min/km
3rd 4km 23:07 5:41min/km
4th 4km 21:19 5:23min/km

It was suppose to be an increasing HR session with each lap of 4km. And it felt great doing them, all the way till the last 4km when I was suppose to hit 155. It was bearable but it still took a while to push the HR up to that level. I think it was the fatigue that had set in - my coach mentioned before that when the body is tired, it is difficult to raise the HR.

I suspect that the fatigue set in because I did not take in any gels at all. I had planned it that way because I know I carbed up a lot during dinner. Had my fluids with me and was hydrated, but not in terms of gels. Rolled my muscles over my favourite bottle as form of massage thereafter and looking forward to the session tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment